Ploughed Fields Corrugated Card

I was destroying some card board boxes to put into the recycling the other day but then was suddenly struck with a terrain vision in my backyard. As i tore up the reinforced card board i remembered something i read somewhere about making ploughed fields out of corrugated card and thought i would give it a try. You can never have enough rural scenery, and my painted carper tiles get a bit stale.

This is about the easiest terrain build you can hope for. Clean up your corrugated card by removing the top layer of card leaving the furrowed bit. Then glue to an appropriately sized piece of MDF. You can make any size you like. The card is blended to the MDF using some no more gaps/caulk/arylic filler around the edge. I gave the edging a good cover of PVA and sprinkled with sand for texture. I also did some PVA glue and sand sprinkles on the furrows too for effect. A good dark brown spray from the can followed by a couple of lighter brown dry brushes adds some texture to the surface. The usual green flock around the edges plus some in the field for variety. I did have some warping issues with the MDF which i sorted using some heavy weights and also painting the bottom of the terrain.

Together with some hedges below the results are pretty convincing. For almost zero cost this is a great addition for my table. I just need a tractor and some hay bales now.

11 thoughts on “Ploughed Fields Corrugated Card

  1. Hi,

    I’ve been making fields like this for a long time. Tearing off one side of corrugated cardboard is really a bitc-, um, tiresome, but I’ve found a solution: I often get packing material with mail-order stuff that is in fact just bunched up corrugated cardboard with out either side–i.e. just the accordion part! Better yet, this has come in different sizes, from rather large, which looks OK with 54mm figures, down to very, very small, which works with 15mm or even smaller figures. I’ve also found the really small stuff, with only 1 side attached, in packages of things like cookies, candy, etc. Not that I would ever eat such things, of course. It has certainly made things a lot easier.

    And for variety, I sometimes run white glue down the tops of the “field” and then sprinkle on flocking of one kind or another. The result looks like the plants have just started coming up. With smaller scales, of course, it would look like the crops have really taken off.

    Best regards,

    A Different Chris

    Liked by 1 person

  2. I agree with Chris. Taking one step out makes this even easier. I love your results and think the field looks very naturalistic. I made some myself in that style and there is no easier or cheaper way to make fields.

    Liked by 1 person

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s